Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Scones


I started with this recipe and, well, de-veganised it. Not because I have anything against the vegan version, but because I didn't have any vegan butter spread on hand.

Pumpkin Scones
1/4 c milk
1/2 c pumpkin
1 t lemon juice
1 c whole wheat flour
1 c white flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 c sugar
1.5 t baking powder
1/4 t cream of tartar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/2 c butter, chilled

Preheat oven to 350
1. Mix together milk, lemon juice and pumpkin. Set aside
2. Mix all dry ingredients together. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until thoroughly incorporated.
3. Mix in wet ingredients - batter will be very thick and dry.
4. Knead lightly and form into a circle.
5. Cut into 8 wedges and carefully place each wedge on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
6. When cool, glaze with the following two glazes:

Sugar Glaze
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk

Spice Glaze
1/2 c powdered sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1 Tbsp milk


Often times I leave out the glaze in cookie and muffin recipes, but this recipe needs the glaze. The scones aren't very sweet on their own and the glaze add just the right amount of sweetness.

1 comment:

. said...

Thanks for the great recipe! That's one I don't think I've collected. I found a bunch of really delicious pumpkin desserts over the internet.
http://thecornergirl.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-recipes-for-fall.html is my post in case you've got the same excitement for fall recipes as I do this time of year. I've tried a few of them already and I hope you like them.