Sunday, June 27, 2010

Canned Tomatoes


The canning continues. I am a bit obsessed. I just love seeing the jars in my pantry and knowing they are waiting for me! The husband and I have become a good team and I am enjoying having a new hobby/job for us to do together. Although, as we canned last night, he asked "what, are we 70? Spending our Saturday night canning?" Maybe we should get some other hobbies, huh?





From the following website:

Procedure
Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Then dip in cold water, slip off skins, and remove cores. Trim off any bruised or discolored portions and quarter. Heat 1/6 of the quarters quickly in a large pot, crushing them with a wooden mallet or spoon as they are added to the pot. This will exude juice. Continue heating the tomatoes, stirring to prevent burning. Once the tomatoes are boiling, gradually add remaining quartered tomatoes, stirring constantly. These remaining tomatoes do not need to be crushed. They will soften with heating and stirring. Continue until all tomatoes are added. Then boil gently 5 minutes. Add citric acid to jars. See instructions under Acidification. Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jars, if desired. Fill jars immediately with hot tomatoes, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.

Recommended Processes
(Crushed Tomatoes Without Added Liquid)
  1. Boiling Water Bath:
    • Pints, 40 minutes
    • Quarts, 50 minutes

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Just saw this post; I must have missed it when you posted it originally. I love canning, too. I guess we're both old souls ;)